Qantas’ landmark non-stop Perth-London services have been operating for more than a year now, and the airline reports that they’re exceeding expectations, breaking speed records and supporting more than $100 million in visitor spending in Western Australia.
“Qantas’ direct Perth-London services have really changed the way travellers and airlines think about long-haul”, says The Travel Authority Group’s Managing Director, Peter Hosper.
“The very-near future of ultra-long-haul aircraft and flights promises to be very exciting indeed. We look forward to new city-pairs, and innovative offerings that take these services to new heights. We thrilled to see an Australian airline leading the way and inventing the future”, added Hosper.
Visiting Perth recently to mark the first anniversary of the service – which remains the only direct connection between Australia and Europe – Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce released a report card showing what Perth-London has achieved so far.
Key among the insights was an independent analysis by Deloitte Access Economics, which found the non-stop 787 Dreamliner service had in its first year:
- Facilitated more than $100 million increase in spending by visitors, 92% from international stopover passengers.
- Supported creation of 601 full-time equivalent jobs, particularly in the tourism and hospitality sector.
- With 71% of international visitors on the route choosing to stopover in Perth, helped to drive more than 1 million visitor nights spent in WA.
Other insights included:
- UK residents make up the majority of overseas passengers at 31%.
- Qantas has seen a 30 per cent increase in the total number of passengers travelling between Australia and London via Perth – including a 7% increase in visitors from the UK travelling to Perth.
- Interestingly, 25% of outbound passengers on the new services start their journey in Melbourne.
Mr Joyce said, “The work we put into managing passenger jetlag and designing a comfortable cabin has paid off. It’s the longest flight on our entire network but it has the highest level of customer satisfaction.
“We didn’t plan to regularly break speed records in both directions. The current title holder arrived into Perth from London a full hour ahead schedule thanks to prevailing winds and our new flight planning system.”
For more information, simply leave us a note in the form below, or CALL US to discuss your specific requirements.
We’d love to hear from you.